100% online MSc Computer Science
- 180 credits •
- 2 years part-time
The Keele difference
- 100% online MSc within 24 months
- Gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework – Also Top 5 in the UK (THE ranking broad based universities)
- 1st in England for course satisfaction*
- 97% of research ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally important’**
- £7,440 total fees with option to pay per module
- Keele alumni discount available
**Latest Research Excellence Framework
A flexible online Master’s designed to develop the computer scientists of the future
The online MSc Computer Science degree from Keele University has been specifically created to develop the knowledge and skills to excel in a computer science career. The programme is ideal for ambitious individuals who want to launch an exciting new career in this fast growing field, who have not previously studied computer science or have prior work experience in the field, as well as those professionals who currently work in computer science roles and are looking for an academic qualification to accelerate their career progression.
The course equips you for careers ranging from roles as software developers and engineers, programming analysts, systems and web developers through to IT management roles, amongst others.
A sought after qualification from a university recognised for academic excellence
Studying this online Master’s programme, you will benefit from the teaching of a university rated TEF Gold for teaching excellence, the highest rating that can be awarded. The academics in the Computer Science and Mathematics department are world leading experts in their fields and are involved in cutting edge research, with 97% of the university’s research rated as ‘world leading or internationally important’ in the latest Research Excellence Framework. The department regularly wins and is awarded funding from the leading UK research funding agencies, ESPRC and BSRC, as well as prestigious funding bodies such as the Leverhulme Trust.
A tailored online learning experience from leaders for student satisfaction
You will learn in a leading edge online learning environment, where you will collaborate with and learn from peers, engaging with fellow students on discussion groups via online forums. You will be designated a dedicated Keele Student Success Coordinator, who will provide you with all of the support you need from the moment you enrol to the moment you graduate.
Our credentials of putting students at the heart of everything we do and of delivering excellent student experience are supported by our consistent top 3 rankings for student satisfaction and course satisfaction in the National Student Survey as well as in other surveys and rankings including the Guardian rankings (2019) and the PTES survey (2019).
What you will learn
Knowledge and skills taught include:
- Design and programming
- User interaction design
- Software engineering
- Data analytics
- Web technologies and security
- Research and consultancy skills
- Advanced programming techniques
- Fundamentals of computer science
A career-led programme designed for professionals in a dynamic world of work
Delivered entirely online and with a flexible course design, the MSc Computer Science can be studied from anywhere in the world and around work and family commitments, meaning you can continue to earn and progress in your role whilst you study. The course is industry led and benefits from the collaborative projects of the Computer Science and Mathematics department with industry partners, such as the ‘Knowledge Transfer Partnership’, with Bentley Motors Ltd.
You should normally have, or be about to complete:
- A 2:2 undergraduate degree or a UK Master’s degree (or international equivalent)
- A third-class Honours degree or an Ordinary degree (without Honours) or UK equivalent professional qualification with a minimum of 2 years’ appropriate work experience.
- Applicants who do not hold a recognised degree will be asked to provide evidence which demonstrates a minimum of 3 years’ relevant computing, IT or data management experience. The evidence will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
The work experience must be at a graduate level, in either managerial or professional capacity normally in computing, IT or data related employment which may include development, management or significant responsibility in use of IT or data.
If you earned your undergraduate degree outside the UK, you should check that it is equivalent to a 2:2.
English language requirements
If English isn’t your first language you may need to provide evidence of your English language ability. We accept the following qualifications:
- IELTS at 6.0 overall with no individual component below 5.5
- TOEFL overall minimum 79
- PTE Academic overall minimum 50
- Cambridge (CAE & CPE) overall 169 with minimum scores of 162 in Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking
- Duolingo minimum 95 overall
- A degree qualification taught in English and completed within the last two years
If you are based in the UK or the EU, you may be eligible for a government postgraduate loan to cover the full costs of the course.
Keele alumni discount: if you have successfully completed an undergraduate degree at Keele, you are eligible for a 10% tuition fees reduction, reducing total fees payable to £6,696.
You pay tuition fees for each module taken, either module-by-module or in full at the start of your course.
If you pay module-by-module, you will pay in instalments of £620.