100% online MA Early Childhood Education
- 180 credits •
- 2 years part-time
This is Keele:
- 100% online MA within 24 months
- Top 10 in England for Education*
- Top 300 in the World for Education**
- Britain's Best University, as ranked by students***
- 80% of research 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent'****
- £7,440 total fees with option to pay per module
- Keele alumni discount available
**Times Higher Education World Rankings, 2023
***No. 1 in the UK, Student Crowd University Awards, 2022
****Research Excellence Framework, 2021
An online Master’s degree designed to equip educators with solid foundations, enabling young children to thrive
Keele’s 100% online MA Early Childhood Education is designed to prepare educators for professional practice in early years settings. Whether you’re a child psychologist, school counsellor, child therapist or support worker, gain the skills to enhance your career and help take it to the next level.
This programme is ideal if you are seeking to progress as an educator working with young children. Our education graduates have secured roles in a broad range of sectors and settings, including education, politics, local authorities, policy think tanks, business, national and international NGOs, the Civil Service, and the creative industries.
Flexible online study for practitioners seeking to improve the educational and life outcomes of children
This modular, part-time Master’s degree is ideal for professionals with busy lives and demanding schedules. We aim to remove barriers to learning, such as time, location and cost, so your studies will fit in with your existing commitments from the very beginning.
Access course content at times that suit you and establish your own study schedule around existing family or work commitments. Our flexible online approach allows you to further your career without taking a career break, making space for professional development but not at the expense of other responsibilities.
Choose from six start dates per year, so you can start your studies at a point that suits you for maximum freedom and flexibility.
There are no geographical barriers to studying our 100% online MA Early Childhood Education programme – and students join us from across the UK and the rest of the world.
This means you can meaningfully engage in your online Master’s wherever you’re based, and whatever your commitments. While you’ll never need to attend an on-campus session or face-to-face meeting, our remote learning model means you will still experience high quality teaching and learning. Your studies will be enriched by regular interaction and collaboration with tutors and peers via our online learning environment, where you will engage in group activities and discussions, meet learners from different backgrounds and experiences, and make valuable connections.
What you will learn
Develop the specialist skills and knowledge to support one of the most important stages of a child’s development. Alongside the fundamental building blocks of early learning – including child development and child psychology – you will gain a deep understanding of key issues in early education, from early years policy to developing and delivering a well-rounded curricula.
This programme particularly focuses on professional development, enabling you to reflect on your own practice and grow as an education professional.
Knowledge and skills taught through core modules include:
- How children learn, play and develop
- Early years education, policy and practice
- An interconnected view of education, employment and professional identity
- Issues in global education
- Reflective practice
- Research design
- Qualitative and quantitative research methodologies
- Preparing and developing a dissertation
An outstanding learning experience at a highly ranked university
Develop as a transformational early years practitioner at a leading university for education. Keele University is ranked in the Top 10 Universities in England for Education, according to the Complete University Guide 2021, and as a Global Top 300 institution for Education (Times Higher Education World Rankings 2023).
Your early childhood studies will be enhanced by our research-rich culture and environment. The latest Research Excellence Framework rated 80% of our research as either ‘world leading’ or ‘of international importance’, and your course content will be informed by cutting-edge developments and thinking across the sector.
You will learn from Keele experts who are pushing boundaries and developing solutions to global issues. With vast experience in early childhood education, they’ll support you to grow as an educator, ensuring your learning contains the key theoretical and practical understandings to help you succeed in education roles.
We’re passionate about delivering the best possible learning experiences for our students. You’ll be supported to thrive in a university ranked 1st in England for overall course satisfaction in the Guardian University rankings 2019.
Entry requirements for home and international students
- A minimum of 2:2 undergraduate degree or a UK Master’s degree (or international equivalent).
- A third-class honours degree or an ordinary degree (without honours) or UK equivalent professional qualification with a minimum of two years’ appropriate work experience.
- Applicants who do not hold a recognised degree will be asked to provide evidence which demonstrates a minimum of three years’ relevant experience in education. This can include a wide range of educational experiences, ranging from teaching practice, educational development, educational consultancy and advising, and a range of positions in educational organisations other than schools, universities and further education colleges, such as recruitment agencies, companies specialising in the analysis of educational institutions, government organisations, local councils, charities and NGOs/ INGOs. The evidence will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
English language requirements
If English isn’t your first language you may need to provide evidence of your English language ability. We accept the following qualifications:
- IELTS at 6.0 overall with no individual component below 5.5
- TOEFL overall minimum 79
- PTE Academic overall minimum 50
- Cambridge (CAE & CPE) overall 169 with minimum scores of 162 in Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking
- Duolingo with 95 overall including minimum 85 in each element
- A degree qualification taught in English and completed within the last two years
As these programmes are delivered 100% online, you will be required to have access to a desktop computer or laptop, with an up-to-date operating system and the ability to use an up-to-date web browser such Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Webcam access would be beneficial to online learning, as some modules require submission of videos for assessment and feedback. Usage of Microsoft Office 365 is also required (access is included at no extra cost to Keele Students). Additionally, students will be required to access their learning resources using Canvas via a web browser.
Programme Start dates
If you are based in the UK or the EU, you may be eligible for a government postgraduate loan to cover the full course fees.
Keele alumni discount: if you have successfully completed an undergraduate degree at Keele, you are eligible for a 10% tuition fees reduction, reducing total fees payable to £6,696.
You pay tuition fees for each module taken, either module-by-module or in full at the start of your course.
If you pay module-by-module, you will pay in instalments of £620.